Friday, June 17, 2011

The "Iron Nun"

I was thrilled when James told me that Sister Madonna Buder is going to be honored at Buffalo Springs Lake. Also known as the "Iron Nun", this amazing 80 year old nun ran her first Ironman race at the age of 55! A priest had encouraged her to start running to "harmonize her mind, body and soul". She ran her best Ironman time at the age of 62, when she finished in a remarkable 13 hours and 16 minutes!




I have watched her race many times on television. In one interview, she talks about another swimmer crowding her and how she was tempted to reach over and snap his goggles! This woman rocks!





In 2009, Sister Madonna Buder became the oldest woman to ever complete an Ironman. She was 79 years old. She has competed in over 40 Ironman triathlons. She has also written a book entitled: "The Grace to Race".





I hope I get a chance to meet her at Buffalo Springs!

No comments:

Post a Comment