Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Race-James's Day Part 1

On the day of the Ironman 70.3 Buffalo Springs Lake race, I woke up around 3:30 am. I got up, shaved and put my coffee on. (They say to stick to your normal routine). I was feeling pretty good, just ready to get started!

Like any other race, I was trying to go through all of my "pre-race" stuff. I ate a "Clif Bar" and started trying to get hydrated. I kissed Aaron and Rylan good-bye (they were staying with my mom), loaded up the bike, and headed out to the race site.

When we arrived at the race site, I checked the tires, chains, water holders, water bottles, etc. for my bike. There were no lights for the 1/2 mile walk down the hill into the canyon, so I used the flashlight on my i-phone to light the path. I then got the numbers on my bike and helmet, check everything in the transition area, made sure I knew where my bike rack was, and talked to a couple of people who had run this race before.

After that, I went and found Monica, got her to put some sunscreen on me, put on my wet-suit, and went out to do my warm-up swim. While out there, I saw Sister Madonna Buder doing her warm-up swim, too. By this point in time, I just wanted to get going! I stood on the beach and watched the pros take off. Then, it was my turn!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, it is nice to hear it from your point of view.

    ReplyDelete