Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Race-Monica's Day Part 1

In many ways, my race days are vastly different from James's. But, in some ways, they are the same. Here is a brief summary of my Ironman 70.3 Buffalo Springs Lake experience.

After not sleeping very much, I finally gave up and got out of the bed at 3:30 (I think!). I got dressed, checked my bag one more time, then started to help James. This race had temporary tattoos for the race numbers. This was a first for us. At most of the races, someone just marks them on with a black marker. But, Since I am an expert temporary tattoo applier (just ask Aaron!), I applied them for James. After repeatedly asking him if he had everything, we got in the car to leave.

We rode out to the canyon, where I complained about having to pay $6 to get in to see my husband race! We parked and being the good little "Triathlon Sherpa" that I am, I helped carry the race stuff down to the transition area. The wind was blowing quite steadily and dust was flying. I wear contacts, so this was a blind walk down into the canyon (my eyes hurt so bad!)

James went to set up his bike and I went to set up "camp". I found myself a nice little spot, as close to the action as I could get. I ended up sitting with some tall blond gals from Dallas (who seriously made Paris Hilton look like a dog!) and tucked in for the race. The Dallas gals were there to support their husbands who were both trying to win their age group to get a Kona slot.

Right before the race started, I wandered down to the water to cheer James on. I know he cannot hear me in all the madness, but he likes to know that I am there. Soon, the first buzzer rang, and the professionals were off!

After a few more waves, James's group was up! I cheered for a while, then headed back up to my spot with the Dallas gals.

The swim is the fastest part of the race, and James finished it faster than he thought he would. He came out of the water with a 35 minute time! I cheered, tried to see him in the transition area, cheered some more as he headed up the STEEP, steep hill on the bike, then settled in with a book!

No comments:

Post a Comment