Sunday, May 1, 2011

April 15, 2011-Monica's View

Participating in the Ironman World Championship is a HUGE dream come true for James. Many nights we have spent watching past Ironman races on tv. On December 27, 2010, he entered the lottery for the 2011 race in Kona. He kept saying that he would never get a slot. "Things like that don't happen to guys like me!" I had a feeling he would get a slot, and the feeling grew stronger the closer we got to April 15, the day they announced the lottery results. I mentioned the feeling a few times, but James kept telling me I was crazy.


April 15 arrived as a sunny day with a field trip scheduled for Aaron. So, off he and I went to a local "zoo". Aaron rode the bus back to the school, and I briefly met up with James in the parking lot of the doctor's office. He had a follow-up doctor's appointment for a very nasty sinus infection that he had been suffering from. The lottery winners were to be notified by email after 12:00 noon. At 11:59, James checked his email and found no notification. He was disappointed and I was HUGELY disappointed, because I just KNEW he had gotten a slot. I jokingly said "My life sucks!" and drove away to my friend's house.


A little while later, I left my friend's house to discover a very panicked sounding voicemail on my phone. It said "Baby! Call me! Call me now! Just call me!" Well, I started to panic because I could not imagine what had gone wrong at the doctor's office. So, I called him back and he said "Your life does not suck after all! I got a slot!". I let out a scream so loud that it scared the baby in the back seat and he started crying. I told James "If this is a joke you are pulling, I am divorcing you! Now, keeping in mind that our marriage is riding on this, are you kidding me?" He said "No, Baby! I got a slot! We are going to Hawaii!" I screamed again and the baby screamed and cried some more. This went on for a little while longer as I raced home to see the results for myself on the Ironman website. When I found his name, I just stared and stared at the screen.


I KNEW he was going to get a slot!

1 comment:

  1. I was excited to get that phone call. Very happy for James and that you get to go to Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete