Wednesday, November 16, 2011

After the Race

After watching James cross the finish line, we fought our way through the crowd to get to him. To say that we were proud of him, would definitely be an understatement!

It is difficult to describe the emotions you feel at a moment like this. I usually feel like crying (in a good way). The rush of adreline keeps you going until you can get your arms around your loved one. Then, it starts to feel surreal. Am I really here? Is this just a dream? For me the excitement kicks in, and I want to tell him all about my race experience! “Sure honey, you just did 140.6 miles, but I saw Craig Alexander win the race, and I saw Chrissie Wellington on the bike! And guess what? We got locked out of the room and Rylan was in there sleeping and it took the security guard 8 minutes to get there and unlock the door and…what? You need some Powerade and a massage? You’ll be alright…but listen to this! Aaron got a pearl from an oyster, an Australian woman stole our beach towel, I heard there were dolphins on the swim course…alright, alright, I will get you a Powerade and find the massage tent!”

Aaron takes a different approach to the whole “finish line experience”. “Daddy! I love you! You are the best Daddy ever! Can I go play in the sand? I’m bored! Mommy, I am hungry! Why are the athletes the only ones who get pizza? Can’t I have a piece? Can I go play in the sand? Can I have some of Daddy’s Powerade? Why is the massage taking so long? I’m still bored! And, I am still hungry! Can I go play in the sand?”

So, you can see that Ironman is a “family experience”!

No comments:

Post a Comment