Friday, November 11, 2011

My Favorite Veteran!

I do not think that anyone who knows James would think of him as “disabled”! In fact, a lot of people (myself included) think that what he can do is pretty amazing! Firefighter? Check! Paramedic? Check! Ironman? Check! But, the U.S. Army says that he is a disabled veteran.

In 1993, James joined the Army immediately after graduating from high school. It was not too long after that that he was injured in a parachute accident. The doctors put him back together (one of his feet is more metal than bone!) and said he would not run again. The Army labeled him “disabled” and sent him on his way.

God’s plans are bigger than ours, and had James not been “disabled” and awaiting his retirement from the Army, then he would not have met a certain college freshman in front of her dorm, on a cool October night! He went on to marry her, have two wonderful boys with her and eventually end up at the Ironman with her!

This Veteran’s Day, I want to say “Thank you!” and “I LOVE YOU!” to my favorite veteran, and my favorite Ironman!

Happy Veteran’s Day, James!

No comments:

Post a Comment