Thursday, October 20, 2011

A Little Run Down Ali'i Drive!

Thursday morning came early in Kona (as the mornings tended to do over there!) Once again, my jet-lagged baby had me up way before I wanted to be! James had a breakfast meeting with his coaches from “Mark Allen Online”. Aaron had stayed the night at his Paw Paw Mark’s hotel. So, that left Rylan and me alone for the morning.

We ate a quick breakfast, and headed out in search of the “Underpants Run”. The “Underpants Run” was started in 1997 as a joking “protest” to the many Europeans who were running around Kona in their speedos. It is an event that has grown every year since, and has become a traditional part of the week leading up to the big race. James was sad that he could not participate because of the breakfast meeting!

As I mentioned before, it was while waiting on the start of this run, that I met Chris McCormack! I was so excited to meet him in person after watching him race so many times on tv! I know he was thinking “Who is this crazy American who just accosted me on the street?” Later in the week, James met him and mentioned that I had met him earlier. He remembered me and said to James “Oh, you must be the lottery winner.” Apparently, I made quite the impression on “Macca”. Ha!

Needless to say, the “Underpants Run” was quite the spectacle! There were people of all ages, races, shapes and sizes running down Ali’i Drive in all manner of underwear and costumes! I do not think Rylan fully appreciated the event he was witnessing. I’ve traveled to 4 different continents, 14 countries and 2 different Olympic games, and never, ever seen anything quite like this! But, I am sure glad I did!

2 comments:

  1. I bet it was a sight to see. Glad you got to meet Macca, since he was your favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alicia as someone who did the run, I can tell you it was the funnest thing I have ever done. Monica it was great running into at the race. Like I said before it seemed like everytime I turned around you and your family where there.

    www.thedoorknobchronicles.com

    ReplyDelete